For obvious reasons you cannot compare this one with the original 1981 classic. This is a remake of the old Chashme Baddoor and most of the story line is same with minor twists at few places.
I am a big fan of the original and went to watch this one just to find out how badly it has been remade! To my surprise I enjoyed the entire movie hence I can confidently say that those who have not seen the original, will surely love it.
I had good hopes with David Dhawan and he surely did not disappoint.
3 youngsters (Ali Zafar, Siddharth and Divyendu Sharma) live in a rented flat with no money to pay for the rent or even for the food at the cafe where they are regular. Here the cafe owner is played by Rishi Kappor where as in the original it was a pan shop owner Mr. Lallan Miyan (played by Saeed Jaffrey). The plot remains the same where 2 of the cheesy roommates try to woo a neighborhood girl, both of them gets whacked out of her house but comes back to portray a rosy encounter and later when the 3rd one (the good guy) genuinely falls in love with her, the other 2 create nuisance.
The regular spat of comedy, quick humorous one liners and amazing shayari delivery by Divyendu Sharma makes this new Chashme Buddoor a fun watch. Some of the hilarious shayari's am reproducing here:
1. Arz kiya hai, Kashmir na koi le sakta hai na koi de sakta hai; Kashmir mein toh bus 3 raat aur 2 din ka honeymoon package ho sakta hai.
2. Ek dost ne ek dost ko jab yun peeta, tan ki shakti man ki shakti, bournvita.
3. When you can't change the girl, change the girl.
4. Bomb woh thi blast main ho gaya.
5. Bhaari mehfil main maine sher maara, aur sherni vidhwa ho gayi!
6. Early to bed and early to rise makes your girl friend go with other guys!
7. Ibteda e ishq hai, rota kyun hai; toilet paper hai na, dhota kyun hain?
The classic chamko scene from the original movie was so contagious that it has been used in the remake as well (with Rishi Kapoor), but then it had no punch. I liked the 1 liners more in this movie that anything else. The regular and apt usage of old movie songs like tu tu tu tutu tara, what is mobile number and few others kept the tempo going.
Go for this complete fun ride.