Guess the Celeb

Who am I?

I am actress, still trying to make my foothold strong in Bollywood. I had made a debut in Bollywood in 2004 but that went unnoticed and I moved on to south industry.

Play this game

Huma Qureshi at 'Estella' lounge launch
Sharman Joshi promoting 'Wajah Tum Ho'
John Abraham launches 'Nissan GT-R' car
Photo shoot: Actress Bidita Bag
Vaani Kapoor at 'Befikre' media meet
Karan & Big B at Hindustan Times Leadership Summit 2016

Awards = Power Game???

Description: From Junaid Memon's note on Facebook

Awards are meant to honor as well as nurture the talents, upcoming as well as existing ones. But do awards also mean exercise in influence and power game? A recent incident may well reflect on this. Last year a good if not great film called “A Wednesday” turned the tables by wooing both the audience and the critics. The film neither had big stars nor an established director to pull the coup. But it managed to do so and was regarded by many as best film of the year. Now a spat (if minor) or fight (if major) has occurred between Anjum Rizvi and UTV.

Created by: Pritam Roy (Mar 11)Posts: 6

• Mar 11Pritam Roy wrote...

Pritam Roy

(Junaid Memon's note contd.)

As usual we’ll never know the truth but what seems apparent that this conflict has resulted in “A Wednesday” being shunted out of the awards. Now another UTV vehicle “Mumbai Meri Jaan” is being pushed as a contender over a superior film. Creativity and innovation blossom under sun of fairness and rain of appreciation. The awards function are supposed to do so and especially the prestigious ones. But the scenario clearly suggests that these ceremonies are no more than puppet shows which are controlled by biggies. How do we evolve, improve and above all hold our head high as a growing film industry. The future seems bleak and unpromising if such incidents continue.

Jai Ho

(Read the comments on the original note, at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/note.php?note_id=55613478028)

• Mar 11Rohini Kale wrote...

Rohini Kale

Ahh thats a great piece of debate that go on ever forever with no practical solutions at sight. What is, by the way, an Awards ceremony in India? in my def it is a social networking moment for the filmi who-is-whos who provide for a great revenue stream through ad spaces and a behind-the-scene tie-ups between advertisers and film-promoters. Audience love the glitterati, and is least bothered about the awards. And with ever growing Awards these days the authenticity is the last thing that the viewers believe. The solution?? Have the critics and jurors vote on an open system, add viewers' choices, and get the final results audited by independent audit firms (not PWC ofcourse :))

•  
    Paromeeta Mathur Banerjee

I think the future is not bleak. This is an unfortunate incident, but slowly smaller movie makers and small budget films are doing well, and different movies are making a mark. So there are signs of change among the public and it is the public which matters in the end. The award functions if they are to remain popular among the public will have to mirror the public's opinion and so the change is inevitable. Might be slow but will happen definitely, in my opinion. Politics will not prevail in the long run. The days of biggies and camps etc ruling the roost will soon be numbered.

• Mar 12Amitava Bhattacharya wrote...

Amitava Bhattacharya

@ Rohini: Totally agree to that. No one i know has any trust on these awards. Awards nowadays are only meant for television channels! Its evident from the simple fact that the channels take almost a few weeks to air the ceremony. coz they need to add the masala, story and blah blah to sensitise the event in order to increase the TRP. other than that it has no value. Have you ever seen DVD sales zoom after a movie being awarded? Personally i have stopped watching award shows.

• Mar 12Amit R wrote...

Amit R

Not so optimistic as Paromeeta said. Awards have in reality become a tool to please certain sections of the industry. the middle and bottom rings of the awards are yet to be polluted though. The corruption lies at the top. Poor ones who genuinely get the awards, get no mention anywhere. However, it does enlighten their CVs.

• Mar 13Amitava Sengupta wrote...

Amitava Sengupta

Award shows also are like so called reality shows ... Only they need is, good editing (cut paste) ... They shoot it for 2-3 months and show it as if it happened in a single day ... If you watch closely you will come to know this fact ...

p.s. Replace("...",".") ... thanks :)