Guess the Celeb

Who am I?

I am actress, still trying to make my foothold strong in Bollywood. I had made a debut in Bollywood in 2004 but that went unnoticed and I moved on to south industry.

Play this game

Vaani & Ranveer at 'Befikre' trailer launch
Rani Mukerji at North Bombay Sarbojanin Durga Puja
On the sets: Dwayne Bravo in 'Jhalak Dikhla Jaa'
Big B celebrates his 74th b'day
Jennifer Winget at 'Beyhadh' show launch
Manoj Bajpayee promoting 'Saat Uchakkey'

July For Md. Rafi :Yaadein Na Jaye.

Description: The legendary melody king Md. Rafi, though physically ceased to be in July,1980, he is with us in his countless melodies.Be it pure classical (O duniya ke rakhwale), or soul-stirring romantic ( Pukarta chala hu mai), or eye-moistening plaintive (Aap ke pahelu me akar ro diye),or mind-arresting gazal(mere meheboob tujhe), or body-swinging Kawali(Parda hai),or boisterous (chahe mujhe koi junglee khahen), or satiric (hai dil muskil jina yahan),-Md. Rafi was ever at home in any course.With his gifted voice, when he sang, he could create the situation and insert the spirit for which the song in particular was being sung.Just listen to any of his number with your eyes closed and you can seize the sequence in your mind's canvas.The actor acts for singing, Rafi sings for activate the acting.Dilip Kumar, for example, lips the song, "mujhe duniyawalo sarabi na samjho". The fact is, it is Rafi who makes him sarabi.Many years ago Rafi-saab promised,"Sou baar janam lenge". So we are waiting.

Created by: Dipen Guha (Jul 01)Posts: 8

Paromeeta Mathur Banerjee

Completely agree. I think he and Lata are close to the most fabulous voices ever in Indian celluloid. I think Mohammed Rafi is just amazing. Was there anything that man couldn't sing? Thank God for giving us such a soulful and versatile voice.

• Jul 04Swati Chatterjee wrote...
    Swati Chatterjee

He was blessed, and so was Kishore da. the contribution of these two men in Hindi film industry could never be matched. they put souls in those songs.

• Jul 08vinay sharma wrote...
    vinay sharma

• Jul 15Debadutta Chakravarti wrote...
    Debadutta Chakravarti

Mohd. Rafi had sung a song in the film 'Baiju Bawra' which goes "Man Tadpat Hari Darshan ko Aaj". It was reported to be the first devotional song in hindi film history which despite being dedicated to a hindu deity was written by a muslim lyricist Shakeel Badayuni, composed by a muslim composer Naushad Ali and sung by a muslim singer Mohd. Rafi himself.

• Jul 21Aditya Chakrabarty wrote...
    Aditya Chakrabarty

What Can one say about this man?He has been the most neglected,under appreciated playback singer (if there is such word) in our country.People in our country(Bengal being no exception) go ga about Kishore Kumar and R.D.Burman as if there were no other singer s/composers other than them.It is indeed true they were extremely great and were ummatched in their own way, but they are only what 2% of what music is all about!This is what I would like to tell all the singers and members of Bengali bands of today!Regrading Mohd Rafi, do you know even on his detah anniversary on 24th July(a few days from now), not a single radio station bothers to play any of his songs(Barring Big 92.7 fm who dedicate a full programme to him) and they are either playing contemporary songs or songs of Kishore Kumar.Nothing could be more insulting! Well Debadutta very well said! That is an excellent fact you have provided us with and the song too is a brilliant one!More to follow later!

• Jul 21Atanu Raychaudhuri wrote...
    Atanu Raychaudhuri

Hi Aditya, does it really matter what songs the radio plays? If you love Rafi, you will listen to his songs on your personal collection.
    Here is one Rafi gem (from Toofan Mein Pyar Kahan) very close to my heart. Rafi sings it with a subdued voice, very apt for the situation in the film.

Itni Badi Duniya, Jahan Itna Bada Mela
    Magar Main Kitna Akela, Kitna Akela

Ae Dil Ghadi Bhar Ko, Milke Karen Baaten
    Kat-ti Nahin Aise Tanha Meri Raaten
    Sabko Mila Saathi, Jabhi Aayee Milan Bela
    Magar Main Kitna Akela

Guzre Dinon Ka Hai Dhundhla Nishaan Baaki
    Dil To Bujha Kabse, Ab Hai Dhuan Baaki
    Dukhte Hue Dil Pe Kya Kya Nahin Jhela, Magar Main Kitna Akela

• Jul 23mithun shetty wrote...
    mithun shetty

dipen here is a link from youtube that i got where talat sings a song of Mohd rafi with his rare talat photos:'

• Jul 24narayan gautam wrote...
    narayan gautam

To me Rafi is the only singer whose mellifluous & classically trained voice was liked across the masses & the classes. In fact manna dey himself had said in one interview that in his opinion the greatest playback singer ever appeared in India was Mohammed Rafi-sheer magic. Rafi sahaab in my opinion was superb in classical & melodiuos in one of the even most modern song like gulabi aankhen (RDBs-The Train). Moreover can you think of any song sung by Rafi & imagine someone else to sing in that place-the answer is a big NO. I heard in a radio programme hoisted by one of the most talented singer of bengal of current times-Srikanto Acharya, that after hearing "maan tadpat hari darshan-baiju bawra", the great Badey Ghulam Ali Khaan Sahab had gone personally to Rafi Sahaab's house & awaited till he came out of the bathroom (as he had just returned from a recording & straightway went for a shower)and told lovingly later when Rafi came out (imagine what rafi sahaab had felt)- "BETA BAHUT ACCHHA GAYA TUMNEY" and then he went away. This was Rafi- classic to everyone........narayan gautam, calcutta