Guess the Celeb

Who am I?

I am actress, still trying to make my foothold strong in Bollywood. I had made a debut in Bollywood in 2004 but that went unnoticed and I moved on to south industry.

Play this game

Sunny Leone at 'Playboy' club launch
Vivek Oberoi at FFLV's charity campaign lauch
Karisma Kapoor at Ambience Fashion Weekend 2016
Jacqueline Fernandez at Puma's fitness event
Abhishek Bachchan at Strut Dancemakers Master Class
Sezal Sharma at Kapil Kaustubh Sharma's b'day bash

Uttam Kumar -- There isn’t - there won’t be another hero like him.

Description: "It is the demise of a leading light of the Bengali film industry…There isn't - there won't be another hero like him."

Ask any bengali for his or her all time favourite star and the answer even today is uttam kumar. Years after his death bengali cinema still has not been able To produce even someone comparable to him. He is like the polestar of bengali celluloid screen.

Uttam Kumar, as Uttam Kumar himself said in a movie, is Uttam Kumar. The kind of mass adulation he received in his lifetime and beyond is unsurpassed and is likely to remain so. He has, at various times of his career, been called legend, a genre by himself and at times even a God.

An hypnotic presence, an thoroughly disarming smile and just the right amount of impishness, he represents, I think, what every Bengali, who is a little romantic at heart would aspire to be.

The aura of Uttam Kumar never fades out in the sands of time. And the matinee idol’s image still holds the full-screen...

Created by: Anupam Dey (Jul 23)Posts: 4

• Jul 31Atanu Raychaudhuri wrote...

Atanu Raychaudhuri

Uttam Kumar actually became a great actor after the Suchitra Sen phase was over. If you carefully analyze his films with Sen, you would see how dominating Sen used to be. It was as though even the directors were more focused on devloping Sen's character than Uttam's. I love his later films such as Sanyasi Raja, Stree, Agnishwar, Chhadmabeshi, Nayak, Aaro Ek Jon, and Memsaheb. In these, we saw a mature actor in Uttam Kumar, very different from what we saw in his pairing with Suchitra Sen. My humble opinion.

• Jul 31Debadutta Chakravarti wrote...

Debadutta Chakravarti

If Bollywood had its Raj Kapoor-Nargis pair, Tollywood had Uttam-Suchitra, the ultimate lovestruck pair. No killer body, no six-pack abs, yet he could give any modern day hero a run for his money. Uttam Kumar will remain alive in public memory for generations to come.

• Aug 01Amitava Sengupta wrote...

Amitava Sengupta

Atanu, I feel that Uttam became uttam from "Nayak". In his post Nayak films we find a different Uttam. More stylish, more perfect acting and a tendency to break the stardom for better role. People say that the "Ray Magic" has worked for him.

• Aug 02Swati Chatterjee wrote...

Swati Chatterjee

Interesting point Atanu. I think i can see that. Suchitra's presence was aptly marketed by the then film-makers to the Bengalis who till then had never seen a heroine with such pride, attitude and bold. So, they completely fell in love with Suchitra and Uttam Kumar played the second fiddle in the initial phase.