Music Review Of "JTHJ" By Sumit Sharma.
It's the greatest album of the decade, Yes It Is! JTHJ has also brought together the legendaries Yash Chopra, A.R. Rahman & Gulzar. Dil Se, Guru, Ravan, Delhi-6, Slumdog Millionaire, etc. Rahman-Gulzar combo has always worked magic and this time they are coming together with king of romance SRK and legendary Yash Chopra. Yash Chopra has announced his retirement with this film. So naturally expectations are sky high. Every song is perfect, full of delightful, enjoyable compositions brilliantly penned by Gulzar. You will never forget this album Jab Tak Hai Jaan!
A Never-To-Be-Forgotten Album.! A Big Hit!
Recommended Songs- Challa, Saans, Heer, Jiya Re, Ishq Shava ,Jab Tak Hai Jaan (The Poem).
1. Album starts with a a very beautiful song "Challa" perfectly rendered by Rabbi Shergill, a song that describes madness, quest and Challa. Chhalla or Challa is such a common word in Punjabi poetry. Challa is as such a simple thing, a ring, but the deeper meaning extends much beyond that most of the times. The meaning of Challa may vary across poetry, across compositions, however, mostly it means a young man, someone who's a little crazy, someone in love, or someone who just roams around freely and this melodious track is about all these things. Song starts with soft acoustic guitar strumming and drum kicks. Rabbi is well known for his debut song "Bulla Ki Jaana"- Rabbi(2005) and his semi-Sufi semi-folksy style and he has done a superb job in Challa. Some people said that Challa sounds very similar to an international track titled "Save Tonight"-Desireless(1997), But this is not true! Challa is a totally different and truly fresh composition. It's A. R. Rahman's pleasant magic which creates a very beautiful and energetic environment with feel of joy and delectation, Gulzar has marvelously penned it with sweet and goluptious feel of panjabi words.
lokon supne vich milne da vaada usda, saari saari raat na aankh lagdi..
mere saa vi thode thode katti honde, meri nabaz vi thodi katti vajdi..
challa ki labhda phire..
logaan to puchhda phire..
"she promised me to meet in the dream, and I couldn't sleep entire nights..
my breath also has become a little hard, and my pulse has also slowed a bit..
what does the mad one keep looking for..
he keeps asking people.. "
2. "Saans", It's a sad song with sonorous melody and beats. Song starts with swingeing sound of strings, chorus and mellow sound of flute. A very succulent and delightful track which tells about the feelings and emotions of a couple, Gulzar's efficacious and heartedly penned lyrics expresses their love prettily. Serenity of romantic emotions erupts out in the soft and supple vocal delights of Mohit Chauhan & Shreya Ghoshal. The way Shreya Ghoshal starts the song with the word 'Saans' takes the song in the region of eternal soulful love. Beats with purposeful bass, magnificent flute, piano, and pleasing bagpipes Rahman used everything very prodigiously in a very exquisite way. A very heartwarming composition. Must Listen!
3. "Ishq Shava" is a dance track with high bass and beats full of "tango and salsa" modus. Song begins with punch of loops synchronized by electric guitar and drum kicks. Amazing pair of Raghav Mathur & Shilpa Rao spectacularly rendered this rocking track and made it extremely emphatic. Rahman perfectly used some very basic but efficacious strokes for tumbandora which is another best part of the song. If you liked Rahman's "Hawa Hawa"- Rockstar(2011) them you will surely love this delectable westernized arrangements and SRK's charming dance. Recommended!
4. OMG! here we have another captivating and verry influential track "Heer" sung by Harshdeep Kaur which is a soft, supple and heartrending track. Gulzar's emotive lyrics describes the love story of "Mirza-Sahiba", It is one of the four popular tragic romances of the Punjab. Harshdeep Kaur's mellifluous and magical voice voice leads the song and she has done a sparkling job. Very simple and soft arrangements of beats and acoustic guitar, meliorative sound of flute, strings and violin is so stunning. Such a wonderful and sonorous track beautifully rendered by Harshdeep Kaur. Must Listen!
5. "Jiya Re" sung by Neeti Mohan, is a gleeful and ambitious track. After "Ishq Wala Love"(Student of the Year), this is another hit track by Neeti Mohan. Savory sound of soft stringed guitar strumming and claps with drum kicks give the desired pace. Neeti Mohan's scrumptious singing make Gulzar's enthusiastic lyrics and Rahman's raptured melody more mirthful. A very sweet and strenuous song. Recommended!
6. "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" sung by Javed Ali & Shakthisree Gopalan, this is the title track of the film that beutifully expand and describes the title Jab Tak Hai Jaan. We can feel the Rahman's touch in this melodious track. Javed Ali's enticing voice leads the song Shakthisree Gopalan's dominant supportive vocals make song more delightful. Track begins with soft piano and supple voice of Javed Ali, synchronization of strings, drum kicks, flute gives the perfect pace to the song. Captivating and collaborative sound of dholak takes the song to another level with full of sufi 'qawwali' touch. Lovely lyrics, a very likeable track. Nice!
7. "Saans (Reprise)" sung by Shreya Ghoshal is another version of "Saans", a very sad and soft version with light musical arrengements. The best part of the song is demulcent and melodious voice of Shreya Ghoshal that makes the song Perfect! Very Nice!
8. "Ishq Dance" It's an instrumental dance track, a perfect use of membranophones with trumpet and tumbandora. It's a nice dance track but the loop of the basic beats is same and Rahman could use more instruments to make the song more engrossing. Nice!
9. "Jab Tak Hai Jaan (The Poem)" recited by Shah Rukh Khan is an illustrious musical experience. A great poem penned by Aditya Chopra, Every word is so marrowy and analgesic by his inner soul from deep within the heart. Only A.R. Rahman can make such a brilliant track with these words. Shah Rukh Khan is also known as King of Bollywood for his unforgettable famous dialogues and now we have another memorable poem by the SRK. Perfect!
Music Director- A. R. Rahman;
Lyricist- Gulzar, Aditya Chopra(Track # 9);
Rating- 4.5/5 ;
For latest updates and Exclusive Music Reviews you can also visit --